I love to cook & bake, and as an adult, I have translated that creative outlet into cocktail making. My goal is to enjoy 'adult' beverages, made well, with fresh & unique ingredients. My friends and family often [always] ask me for my latest & greatest recipes, and encouraged me to start this. So - I hope you find some drinks here you can enjoy & share with others!

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Vegas, Baby


As this is my introductory blog post, I wanted to thank my sister Megan. Her blog (meganmyday) is so awesome - witty, interesting & fun - she inspired me to start my own. I can only hope I do as well as she does. So, here goes!

Scott and I were in Vegas last month,with Chip & Matt. We were celebrating Matt's birthday and we had a great dinner at a local steakhouse favorite called Del Frisco's (thanks for dinner Matt!). As usual, I had to peruse to the cocktail menu to see if there was anything I hadn't seen before.

It is a refreshing twist on a cucumber martini (which isn't my favorite), and so I have been attempting to recreate it at home. Be warned - this one requires some specialized liquors (one of the reasons my liquor cabinet(s) are constantly overflowing), but it is worth it!

Springtime Martini (I named this one, because it seems bright & fresh)

Ingredients
Vodka (a slightly high-end one is better for this drink, as it will feel & taste smoother)
Elderflower liquor (St. Germain is the preferred brand, and comes in a beautiful bottle to boot)
Acai Berry liquor (Veev is the preferred brand)
Lemon juice (fresh squeezed is always better)
Cucumber slices
Lemon twist

Directions
In a martini shaker, add 2 cucumber slices (I prefer only mild cucumber flavor, but if you want it to be more cucumber-y, feel free to add more). Make sure you add the cucumber first, as it will get more muddled when you shake with ice.
Fill your martini shaker with ice
Add 1 part vodka
1/2 part St. Germain (or any Elderflower liquor)
1/2 part Veev Acai Berry liquor (or any other Acai Berry Liquor)
2 squeezes fresh lemon juice
Shake well
Pour into chilled martini glass
Garnish with a lemon twist & enjoy

I am a big believer in making drinks to personal preference, but I always recommend you make a 'classic' version first, so you can get a sense of how you can alter to your taste.

Don't be scared to give this one a whirl - really isn't too complicated. Plus - it has a vegetable in it - which makes it almost good for you!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out! This looks awesome and I love that we have one place to go for your awesome drinks. Don't forget to connect to mine and Emily's blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well since it's good for me - I'm sold! I'm so excited you're blogging purely about cocktails, this is going to be dangerous and wonderful all at the same time! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tease, Nancy. One more month, one more month....

    ReplyDelete