I love to cook & bake, and as an adult, I have translated that creative outlet into cocktail making. My goal is to enjoy 'adult' beverages, made well, with fresh & unique ingredients. My friends and family often [always] ask me for my latest & greatest recipes, and encouraged me to start this. So - I hope you find some drinks here you can enjoy & share with others!

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Summertime

I know, I know. I said I was going to do better, and it has been several months since I last posted. And that was after my sister, Megan, and her best friend, Emily, sent me an email telling me not to be a slacker! I would like to say that I haven't written because I have been drinking less...less cocktails perhaps, but not less wine. ;)

In the summer, I often lean towards drinks with nice light citrus notes. So, I decided to make Lemon Drop Martinis for an impromptu Monday night Happy Hour with my friend Julie. I find that most Lemon Drops made at bars, are either too sweet, or not really lemon-y. Making these at home will solve both issues.

This is also the first time I used my new martini glasses. I have been trying to find more classic martini glasses, like they actually used in the 1960s. I finally found some at Sur La Table, so I snapped them up. (Please feel free to admire in the picture!)



Summertime Lemon Drop (this makes 1 Lemon Drop):

-- 1 Fresh Lemon (for this version, I used Meyer Lemons, because Costco had beautiful ones, but regular lemons work great too)
-- granulated sugar (for rimming the glass)
-- 1 part vodka (I used Belvedere)
-- 1/2 part Limoncello (this is a great liqueur, made usually in Southern Italy)

Quarter the lemon. With one quarter of the lemon, run around the rim of the martini glass. In a small plate, place some granulated sugar. Gently dip the wet rim of the martini glass in the sugar.

Next, fill a martini shaker with ice. Squeeze half the lemon into the shaker, and drop in. Add vodka and limoncello. Shake well, and strain into the prepared glass. (Note, if you want your drink sweeter, feel free to add more limoncello). You want this to be nice and cold!.

Using the remaining lemon wedge, make a few slices. Float a slice, or two in the glass.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Love your new martini glasses! And I agree, I'm a big fan of lemon drops, but don't care for the sticky sweet versions you usually get when out at bars. There's nothing better than a Meyer Lemon - can't wait to try your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope your cranberry cocktail makes an appearance here as well! I'm ready for some new Nancitinis reading material!

    ReplyDelete